Friday, September 12, 2008

Trying to rest on Route 66


Today's ride was 120 miles, with much of it along the famous Route 66.  The temperatures were very comfortable in the 70's and low 80's.   My group of 4 (Jerry, Steve, Mike and I)pretty much brought up the rear to the pack today.  Steve and I had determined to make this an easier day on our bodies, as much as you can make a 120 mile day easier.  We were determined to give our legs  a break  from the stress of high exertion.  Turns out everybody in our group need that today.  We enjoyed stops along Route 66:  the Wigwam Hotel, and Petrified Forest Park.  

Wigwam Motel: Mike, Jerry, Mike G, and Steve.
I chased my first lizard today.  It was a nice one.  I think it was a big (6 inch) blue bellied lizard.  I'm not as fast as I was when I was 10 years old.  So it got away.  Jerry was happy.  He thought I was going to hurt it.  I just wanted to get a closer look and a picture.  
The forests of Arizona turned to sage desert.  Route 66 is an old  road, and was very very rough in places.  We felt like we were shaking apart at times.  

No comments: