Friday, September 26, 2008

Lost early and then 150 miles, oouch!

The "lost' gang, conferring about directions and reading their maps.    Steve Brown is in the center of the photo with the orange/red shirt on.
We ended up adding 5 miles to the route as a result of our faux paux.  That doesn't sound like much, but add that on to 145 mile day, and it gets your attention.  Especially when the hills began to appear at about the 105 mile mark.  They were not big, 4 to 11% grade, but after that many miles, and unexpected, they tend to wear you down.  I completely and totally fried my legs on a couple of them.  As Brian LaVoy would say, I 'burnt my last match" while leading the pace line, for my shift in the front.

I for one, was completely and totally wiped out.

  Bob Sweany from New Jersey, is a fun guy to bike with.  He is well read, and a great conversationalist.  He happens to be an EMT Doctor, also.

The Kudzu is starting to show up now along the roads.  This viney weed has basically taken over the humid/wet southeast US. It is pretty, but very smothering to other plant life.

I did see some cypress bayou's, but no alligators.  



The Swede's and the New Jersey crew, asked me to join them for a while today.  I rode with them to the 2nd rest stop, and then joined Jerry and Mark for the rest of the way.  Although they finished a few minuted ahead of me, because they were racing for the town sign.  I had no race in my legs.   We ended up covering 150 miles in less than 7 hours with an average speed of 19 mph.  

I am toast tonight.  I hope the weekend is easier.  I need some recovery rides.

We're down to 6 riding days.  We've got well over 2200 miles in already.

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

It sounded like a hard day. 150 miles is a distance I've never done on my bike, I give you lots of credit Rick. You could try my trick for long days....lots of Mountain Dew or Coke! I swear by it. Get a good nights sleep.