Monday, September 8, 2008

Imperial Dunes

Steve, Jerry and I role out with the rest of the group at 6:30 leaving El Centro for Blythe, CA.
The highlights of this segment was the live fire  missile range used by Air Force F 16's, and the Imperial Sand Dunes, along with only 106 miles being covered.

As we road right through the middle of the Air Force practice area we were able to view F 16's just off the ground, going like their hair was on fire.  They went right over us.  Fortunately, they were not dropping bombs and stuff.  We were on a state highway, so it had to be safe.

With temperatures rising to 118 F on our bicycle computers,  we visited the Dunes, and much of the Imperial Valley agriculture.   It was amazing to see the effect of irrigation water on the desert.  We could see the difference in wildlife, and even the effect on temperature as we passed by.   I saw more ducks and geese down in this desert, then I have seen in MN and WI for a long time !  I'm not sure what to make of that.

It was alittle more difficult for me today.  I didn't drink enough water early, and ended up getting behind in my hydration.  I was able to stave off the first signs of heat problems (a headache), but I am sure I affected my performance.  Fortunately, Steve and Jerry, and everybody else of that matter were not much better off, or I would have had a hard time keeping up.

Tomorrow we raise the mileage back up to 116, and  head into Arizona.  

My pictures won't send off of my I Phone, so I will load them tomorrow, I hope.

2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

Wow, can't believe the temps in the desert...and here we will be waking up to 37 degrees tomorrow morning! I'm debating if I even want to ride to work tomorrow morning in the cold temps. Hang in there. I think it's awesome what you guys are doing :-)

DBJ said...

Rick,

This is such a cool thing you're doing! I admire you for the discipline and commitment you've made to do this!

Keep looking forward ... and up! It's not doubt that He's going to show up in some huge ways!

Blessings for strength and safety,

Rhino Dave J